Ante Matter
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ghosts In Empty Houses (Striders)

2 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Ghosts In Empty Houses (Striders) Empty Ghosts In Empty Houses (Striders)

Post  Ezikeel Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:39 am

It was about noon on a hot, humid July day in Austin, Texas, when a boy woke up from what had likely been a short nap on a park bench, and nothing in the entire world was right at all. He knew it from the moment he opened his eyes.
There was... somewhere he was supposed to be. Something he was supposed to be doing. Or... there had been. Nothing seemed to make sense. He sat up, pushing his sunglasses to the top of his head so he could rub his eyes. He just need to wake up, to think a little more clearly. What had he been doing? How had he gotten to the park? What day even was it? So many questions, and none of it made sense.
He got up and started walking toward home, hands in pockets, brow furrowed in thought. He had been doing something important... With some friends of his. But which friends? From where? Most of his friends were online, because he didn't really feel like he fit in at school, and most of those kids were dicks anyway. Maybe it wasn't as important as he thought it was. Maybe they'd finished whatever they were doing and gone their separate ways. That seemed right... almost.
He shook his head violently, trying to force all the conflicting thoughts from his head as he ascended the stairs to the apartment. He tried the knob and it was locked, which was strange. His brother didn't usually lock the door. He dug around in his wallet for the key, put it in the lock, and... nothing. It didn't turn. Didn't budge. Confused, he looked up at the number on the door, just to make sure, and... yep. This was definitely the right apartment. He hadn't gotten distracted and wandered into the wrong building by accident.
He ran a hand roughly through his white-blonde hair. His brother must have changed the lock to fuck with him. That was exactly the sort of thing he would do. He trudged all the way back downstairs and out to the fire escape, which, in his anger, he scaled in record time. When he reached the top floor, the floor of his apartment (and it definitely was his building, he double checked) the things that he saw through the window... weren't theirs. A stranger inside glared at him as if to say 'get the fuck off my fire escape, you hooligan.'
He slid all the way back down, and then just sat there, leaned against the wall, for a long time.

That was five years ago. He was nearly twenty now, and he had somehow or another managed to convince the government that he was a real person and that he really was a citizen of the United States, even though no record of him or his brother, or anyone with the last name Strider, seemed to exist.
He had a decent life, now. A small apartment all to himself. He didn't have many friends, or even leave his house much. The world out there was still just a little bit too off for his tastes.
Some of his memories had come back, though without context they made little sense. He did get the very clear impression, though, that he and his friends had fucked something up bad, and that's why he didn't seem to belong in that world at all. He figured, though, that if he were there, the rest of them should be, too. Somewhere.

Five years, to the day, since he woke up to find that everything was wrong. Five years without seeing hide nor hair of his brother, who was basically his world.
On a whim, he decided that it couldn't hurt to try again.
He went back to where their apartment was supposed to be. He didn't bother trying the door again, or even looking in the window. There would be no sense in it, and it would only make him more depressed than he already was. No, he bypassed all of those things and went straight to the one place that was, and always would be, unequivocally theirs: the roof.

And he waited.
Just in case.
Ezikeel
Ezikeel
Admin

https://antematter.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Ghosts In Empty Houses (Striders) Empty Re: Ghosts In Empty Houses (Striders)

Post  THISLOSERHERE Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:41 am

Dave didn't have to wait long. The knob of the door leading into the building turned with a rattle and the hinges of the door creaked when it was pushed open.

Dave was joined on the roof by another blonde man, though boy was perhaps more accurate. The young man had impeccably spiked blonde hair and pointed sunglasses that sat upon a nose dusted with freckles. His tee shirt was wrinkled and his pants sagged from his hips.

He seemed surprised that he wasn't alone, His eyebrows peeking above the hard lines of black glass with the expression.

"No one's supposed to be up here" he stated, the voice almost familiar, softer than that of who Dave was looking for, younger obviously, but still close enough to be almost the same.
THISLOSERHERE
THISLOSERHERE

Back to top Go down

Post  Ezikeel Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:11 pm

It took Dave's brain nearly a full minute to process the scene before him, and for the duration of that minute he was staring, very uncool-ly and slackjawed, at this miniature carbon copy of his brother. When he finally got himself together, he pushed his sunglasses more firmly on his nose, cleared his throat, and stood, trying to make himself look somewhat presentable.

He opened his mouth to speak, closed it, opened it again. "Um." He said, dully. He couldn't actually think of a thing to say. He didn't know enough, or anything at all, about the situation to come up with a single clever line. Instead, he approached the boy with his hand outstretched in a way that could have been interpreted as a handshake or a low-five, depending on how the miniature-Bro reacted. "Dave Strider. You?"
Ezikeel
Ezikeel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  THISLOSERHERE Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:34 pm

The young man stared at the outstretched hand, his glasses slipping down just far enough to let orange irises peek up at Dave as the man looked up at him without moving his head.

"That depends. Are you from social services and actually know my name and are just waiting for me to tell a lie and fuck up so you can toss me back in Juvie till I turn 18 for 'running away'? Or, are you somebody new in the building that just honest to god wants to introduce yourself to this hot piece of jailbait so you can try and make an impression good enough to invite me back to your apartment so you can have your wicked way with me?"

He lifted his head and pushed his glasses up with his middle finger on the hand not still holding the door open.

"Or, are you just a stranger that doesn't want busted for trespassing?"
THISLOSERHERE
THISLOSERHERE

Back to top Go down

Post  Ezikeel Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:43 pm

"Hm. D - none of the above? Well, I guess 'stranger who doesn't want to be busted for trespassing' is pretty close to the truth." He gestured vaguely towards the floor, or, more specifically, to the apartment beneath them.

"I used to live down there. This was me and my Bro's hangout spot. He's... not around anymore, so I guess I just swung by because I was feeling nostalgic."

He shrugged and sat back down where he'd been. "Go ahead and do whatever it was you came up here for. I won't bother you. I'll probably just wander off on my own when I get bored."

There was a beat of silence. "Sweet shades, by the way, bro. Where'd you get 'em?"
Ezikeel
Ezikeel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  THISLOSERHERE Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:59 pm

The young man glanced at the empty stairwell behind him before making the decision to take a half step closer to Dave to let the door swing closed behind him. "I've always had them." he stated "The home said that whenever they tried to take them from me I screamed louder than a baby should even be able to scream, and always found a way to get them back, so after a while they just stopped trying."

He moved around Dave, heading over by the air conditioning unit to where one of the larger vents stuck out of the roof. The same vent that Bro used to use to ninja his way in and out of the crawl space. "I'm placed with a family on the third floor. Real hard-asses that handle the 'special' cases like me. I come up here because the front desk'll call the cops if I try and go out the front door by myself."

He puts his hand on the side and gives the vent a nice kick, his hand keeping the metal from reverberating too loud as the front grate pops off onto the ground. There is a sheathed katana wedged tightly into the square frame. "So why are you up here?" he asked, picking the weapon from the grate's frame.
THISLOSERHERE
THISLOSERHERE

Back to top Go down

Post  Ezikeel Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:11 pm

Dave watched the boy closely through his mirrored shades, tracking his movement without even moving his head. When he pulled out the hidden katana, Dave was struck by the sudden, nonsensical, completely batshit insane notion that he should somehow materialize a sword out of nowhere and fight that boy.

Well, the fighting part made sense. This was, somehow or another, his Bro, after all. How he was supposed to magic up a sword, he didn't know. Many of his memories from before the incident had come back, but he hadn't quite figured out how they did all of the seemingly magical things that he remembered doing.

But the boy's story triggered another memory. A vague one, anyway.

"They put you in a home? That's some shit! And of course they couldn't take your glasses." He took his own shades off, briefly, as he spoke, revealing his hidden eyes for effect. "Baby shows up with weirdass eyes and sunglasses on it's tiny fucking head and they think they can just take them away? Have these people ever read a scifi novel?"
Ezikeel
Ezikeel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  THISLOSERHERE Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:18 pm

"That's what I asked last time the home I was placed at tried to take them." The boy replied, unsheathing the Katana in a flashy move that ended with the blade pointed at Dave and the sheath held out behind the boy as if it were a second sword.

"So what's the real reason you're up here? And what's with the interest in me? Got a problem with orphans or some shit?" He asked, clearly suspicious. "I've been confined to this lame ass building for almost four years, and I was in a home in the area for a year before that and I've never seen you around before, so either you're some old geizer freak that looks younger than you actually are, or you're lying."
THISLOSERHERE
THISLOSERHERE

Back to top Go down

Post  Ezikeel Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:35 pm

"There is nothing I would love more than be able to explain to you in simple term why the fuck I am on this roof, but even I think I sound like a nut, so we're not even going down that road. I only half remember everything anyway."

He stood up again, knitting his fingers together and stretching his arms high above his head.

"I don't imagine you've had any formal training with that thing," he said, indicating the sword, "but I'm sure you could still give me a run for my money... Provided, of course, that I weren't trying to kill you. In a life or death situation, your poor form would get you killed."

He paced back and forth across the roof as he spoke, his posture relaxed, not actually looking at the boy at all.

Suddenly, he stopped, smirked, and looked over at him out of the corner of his eye, his shades having slid down his nose just enough for his red irises to show. There would be only one way to get through to this boy, paranoid as his living situation had made him. Dave felt rather guilty for it all, but those were feelings that could be sorted through at a later date. Right now, it was time to speak to this boy in the way that Striders communicated best. There would be no other way to convince him of his sincerity, and, if his suspicions were correct, the boy would likely 'remember' things - not necessarily memories he'd ever experienced himself, mind you, but Dave wasn't so sure he'd actually lived through the things he remembered, either.

"But, since you offered, I'll accept. Just remember- you can't abscond, bro."

Then, acting purely on muscle memory from another life, Dave flashstepped behind his miniature adversary, grabbed the hand that held the wooden sheath, and twisted it - not with the intention of causing harm, but instead to make the boy turn his body so that, using simple pressure points, Dave could wrest the item from his grip.

Now that he had a weapon in hand, teaching could begin. He leapt away gracefully, putting enough distance between them to each adversary the opportunity to watch everything their opponent did.

"If you don't have actual battle experience, you've got no business trying to dual wield. It's flashy, but that doesn't count for shit if you can't defend yourself."

As he spoke, he circled slowly around the boy, keeping his distance.

"Your stance is too tall and narrow. Spread your feet more, and bend at the knee - but keep your back straight. Keep your elbows bent and your arms near your body. That flashy flourish you did looked nice, but was terribly unfunctional. You should never fully extend your arm like that unless you're putting your blade into your enemy's face with it.

Until you have more training, you should always have both hands on your sword. A basic stance - the forward guard - has both hands on the hilt, on your dominant side." He demonstrated as he spoke. "Elbows as close to your body as you can manage, hold your sword about level with your ear, blade out at a slight diagonal rise. From this stance, you can make solid offensive strikes at your opponent's face or torso, and can easily parry any of the same aimed at you. Following along, so far?"
Ezikeel
Ezikeel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  THISLOSERHERE Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:45 pm

The removal happened so fast that the boy could only look at his empty hand in confusion before finding his sheath in Dave's hands upon realizing the older man was talking again, giving him pointers it sounded like. He wasn't paying the best attention.

Giving a noise of agitation that this stranger, this weirdo that just showed up out of nowhere and took over his private place was showing him up and making him look like an idiot, he spread his feet into a sturdier stance before pushing off the rough concrete and making a lunge at him, his other hand flying to the hilt of the katana. Even if he hit it wouldn't do much damage-because who would sell a teenager a sharp sword?

THISLOSERHERE
THISLOSERHERE

Back to top Go down

Post  Ezikeel Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:46 am

Dave's well-trained brain processed everything at light-speed. He saw the boy's lunge in slow motion, knew exactly the counter he needed to use. It would certainly prove his point that the boy needed training (that he was the one to give it was another matter altogether). He curved his body to the side, out of the path of the blade, dull as it was, with the sheath still raised at eye height. At the same time, he set himself in a strafe away from the boy, so that when he hit him in the face with the wooden sheath in a moment, the boy's momentum wouldn't give him a concussion.

The tip of the sheath connected solidly, right in the center of the boy's forehead. It would likely leave a bruise that he would have to explain to his guardians (it sort of made Dave's stomach curdle to think of them in that term), but it would be a lesson learned. Maybe next time the boy would listen to him when he spoke.

While he was recoiling from the first strike, Dave dropped to one knee, sweeping the sheath, angled downward, across the boy's shins, to bring him to his knees. In the same fluid motion, he switched to the Straight Guard form, the "hilt" of the sheath close to his waist and the tip angled up toward the boy's face. He then swept the "blade" horizontally, pulling the strike short and leaving it to rest against the side of his neck.

"If we were fighting for real, I would have just beheaded you," he said. "Let me teach you how to make sure that never happens again."
Ezikeel
Ezikeel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  THISLOSERHERE Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:58 am

The boy's breath caught in his throat as he just looked up at Dave in awe. The moment was short lived as his wounded pride caught up with him and he scowled instead. "Fuck off" he practically spat, his shades slipping down to show his defiant glare.

"I don't want your help and I don't need it." He shoved the sheath away from his neck and moved to get back on his feet, wincing at the raw tenderness in his knees. They were probably scraped from the hard fall onto the combination of concrete and denim.
THISLOSERHERE
THISLOSERHERE

Back to top Go down

Post  Ezikeel Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:22 am

Dave caught the boy's wrist before he could get too far away, and got to his feet. He moved in front of the boy and, very solemnly, put a hand on his shoulder.

"Don't be angry with me," he said. "Anger is a useless emotion in battle. It just clouds your mind and distracts you. Instead..." He grinned suddenly. "Get good, and get even.

You're mad. I get it. I'm some rando off the street, all up in your business, and I just pretty thoroughly whooped your ass. You have every right to be pissed. Instead of just being pissed and miserable, use that for something productive. Get good. Better than me.

You probably kinda hate me right now. That's fine. Right now, I don't need you to like me. If I'm right about how things work here, you'll be going on eighteen, right? So you'll be out of the system in a few months. I can worry about you liking me after that. Right now, I want to give you the tools to make those last few months as painless as possible. I spent three years in the system, myself, so I know that the last stretch has the most bullshit, and you seem like you've had enough trouble already. Those people downstairs don't want to give you shit. As soon as they have no more obligation to you, you'll be out on your ass with no idea how to be a functioning adult. I want to help. If you don't believe another thing I say for the rest of forever, believe this. I want to help you. I'm on your side."
Ezikeel
Ezikeel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  THISLOSERHERE Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:42 am

Glaring down at the hand holding his wrist, he ignored everything coming out of Dave's mouth. How fucking dare he touch him, he didn't even know him! Sure he was still learning with the sword and he knew his form was awful. Dave had come into his space and tried to converse with him and act all buddy buddy and he didn't even know him. Not that it would be hard to get away from him at the current moment. He ran a couple different thoughts and scenarios though his head before choosing the most favorable. To him anyway, most people did not find bodily harm favorable.

With a hard twist of his wrist and an accompanying jerk of his body, Dave's hands were off of his person, and his arm was already cocked back to let fly into Dave's nose. There was definitely a semi-satisfying crunch of sorts. Or his knuckles popped. To-may-to, to-mah-to. Taking advantage of the momentary distraction, he turned and with a rather clumsy flash step, was on the fire escape going down.

Dave was either a weirdo stalker (Dave had talked like he KNEW him at points, he wasn't imagining it) or someone from social services and his presence just rubbed him the wrong way. It made his skin crawl and simultaneously soothed him, neither reactions preferable in his mind.

He didn't hesitate to see if Dave was following him or not, because he didn't care. All he cared about was getting back to his room in the prison that children services called his guardian's apartment. He was just lucky his room was the one the fire escape went past, he hadn't been in that room long.
THISLOSERHERE
THISLOSERHERE

Back to top Go down

Post  Ezikeel Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:32 pm

Dave took a brief second to reflect on how much he totally deserved that punch in the face, and to ponder the probability of his nose being broken, before pushing those thoughts to the back of his mind. Having resurrected the memory of how to properly flashstep from the blurry hodgepodge of his past, he did something that would firmly place him as the older Strider brother of this reality - he flashstepped down the fire escape, right through the younger boy, and was waiting for him on the edge of the windowsill when he arrived.

He'd already made sure that the window was shut, so that their voices were less likely to carry inside, and also so that it would take at least a bit of effort for the boy to get past him.

"A'ight, padawan. Now what?"
Ezikeel
Ezikeel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  THISLOSERHERE Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:45 pm

The boy's breath caught in his throat when Dave appeared in front of him with no warning and he gave a start, stumbling back, and tripping on the next set of stairs going down. Thankfully the railing on the fire escape were stable and firm enough to stop his tumble.

His shades weren't so lucky. Seventeen years of hell, high water, public school and the foster system and the glasses were done in by a half flight of fire escape stairs. The boy stared mournfully down the slats at the bits of shattered glass and twisted metal on the concrete below. His shades had been his safety net, his security blanket of sorts, and now they were gone and he was literally bare for the world to see.

His eyes watered as he turned to look back up the stairs and he lifted a hand to try and shade his eyes from the light.
THISLOSERHERE
THISLOSERHERE

Back to top Go down

Post  Ezikeel Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:02 am

"Huh."

Dave walked calmly over to the railing and peered over the edge. The little bits of black glass twinkled up at him in the harsh July sunlight.

"That sucks."

He turned to lean against the railing, elbows propped. He let his shades slide slightly down his sweaty, freckled nose and gave the younger boy a look that was a little bit stern, a little bit disapproving. He slowly held up one finger.

"Shades like those aren't easy to find, and they're expensive as fuck to get tinted right for our shitty eyes. You get one free replacement. After that, you break 'em, you bought 'em. Same deal I had with my Bro. Oh, and before you get it into your head to hit me in the face again - these shades aren't replaceable. I will fuck your shit up if you break them. That little strife we had up there was practically playfighting. You don't wanna strife me f'real."
Ezikeel
Ezikeel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  THISLOSERHERE Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:11 am

The stern look was wasted on the boy, considering between the bright sunlight causing his eyes to water to the point of actual tears and the harsh contrast the sun threw Dave in, he was essentially a silhouette to the younger.

"Fuck off. You don't know me, I bet you don't even know my name. " He snapped, the hand not shielding his eyes moved to his thigh to press into what was likely to be an impressive bruise in a few hours. His entire body was probably going to look like a road map of those stupid stairs and no one was going to care.
THISLOSERHERE
THISLOSERHERE

Back to top Go down

Post  Ezikeel Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:21 am

"I don't know your name. I was hoping you'd just tell me, so I wouldn't have to assume things. You know what they say about assuming." His subconscious riffled through its files, trying to reference vague images of official business mail and utility bills that were the only places he'd ever seen his Bro's name printed. "But since you're being such a D I C K, I'm gonna go ahead and guess that your name's D I R K." He added under his breath, "because of course it'd be a four letter word."
Ezikeel
Ezikeel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  THISLOSERHERE Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:25 am

Dirk looked honestly surprised. He felt honestly surprised.

And then the fear kicked in. This stranger calling himself Dave just showed up out of nowhere, acted almost like he knew him and even knew his name? All the alarm bells were going off in Dirk's head.

"What do you want?" he asked in a small voice. "I don't know you, I don't want to know you"
THISLOSERHERE
THISLOSERHERE

Back to top Go down

Post  Ezikeel Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:35 am

"Well..." he began, pushing his shades back up his nose. "First of all: I want you to quit acting like a fucking pussy. You might not know it yet, but you're a fucken Strider, and you need to fucken act like one. Second: I want you to stop being a belligerent little asshole and listen to me when I fucken talk. I wasn't any more prepared for this stupid situation than you were, so get over yourself for like five minutes so we can actually talk like goddamn human beings. That's what I want, to start off with."
Ezikeel
Ezikeel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  THISLOSERHERE Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:43 am

"Why should I?" Dirk asked, purposefully belligerent. "Like I said, I don't know you, and I don't want to fucking know you." He pushed himself to his feet with a hiss. "And you know what, you're in my way. I'm going home."
THISLOSERHERE
THISLOSERHERE

Back to top Go down

Post  Ezikeel Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:22 am

"No you're not. Even if I let you get past, that's just a house. A home is someplace where you feel safe, and loved, and wanted. I know you aren't getting that in there."

He shrugged, and stepped out of the way.

"Go ahead. I won't stop you, if that's what you want to go back to. I'll bring you a new pair of shades tonight, regardless of what you choose. Just keep in mind that, when your time in the system is up, there won't be a place for you here anymore. At least I can offer you better than that."
Ezikeel
Ezikeel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  THISLOSERHERE Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:26 am

"They wouldn't let you take me with just months until they can get rid of me" Dirk stated coldly. "They'd sooner be rid of me in a ditch somewhere. There isn't anyone we can trust anymore" He looked wistfully at the window. "We can't trust anyone but each other"
THISLOSERHERE
THISLOSERHERE

Back to top Go down

Post  Ezikeel Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:37 am

Dave looked confused for a moment, then his face suddenly lit up with recognition. "You still have Cal!" he exclaimed, completely surprised for the umpteenth time that afternoon. "That is completely amazing. Your shades I can see, but Cal? How did he not get taken away? Not like he wouldn't come back on his own, but damn."
Ezikeel
Ezikeel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum