Ante Matter
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Secondhand Gloves (Slick/Sleuth)

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Secondhand Gloves (Slick/Sleuth) Empty Secondhand Gloves (Slick/Sleuth)

Post  Ezikeel Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:05 am

It had been a long time coming.

It had been a long time coming, but here it was, at last.

Spades Slick, once the most feared man on both Prospit and Derse alike. Once the most feared man on this dirt clod once called Alternia.

Once feared, but now...
Now he was only fearful.

Fearful and worried.
And, dare he say it... lonesome.

It had been a long time coming, many long, long times coming, but here is was at last.
They had pushed their luck too far, and now they would pay the price. It wasn't even a question of who or how, it was only a question of when.

He should have seen it coming a mile away, and perhaps a part of him did. They had killed every last member of The Felt about a thousand times over, and they kept coming back every time. Sometimes they'd get a couple weeks or, once, a whole month Felt-free, but they always came back. And they even, somehow, seemed to remember what had been done to them, which shouldn't have been possible considering that they were coming from timelines where that had never happened. It should have been obvious to him that eventually the Midnight Crew would run out of new tricks, that eventually they would become predictable, and that, eventually, it would be their undoing.

And here it was. At last.

And here hewas.
Spades Slick.
Once the most feared man in Midnight City.
And here he was. Alone. Alone, with the blood of his best friend on his hands, both figuratively and literally. Because he should have seen it coming a mile away, and he failed. He failed as a leader, and as a friend.
And he was going to have to pay the price.

There was no use in hiding. They would find him sooner or later, no matter where he went. They did, after all, have all the time in the world. So he just sat in the hideout, at the bar, with a scotch in front of him and the Ace of Spades in his hand. Waiting.

He wouldn't go down without a fight, of course. It just wasn't in his nature. He'd fought every man, woman and child who had crossed his path his entire life, whether he needed to or not. But putting up a fight didn't mean that he would win, or that he even stood a chance. It was just the principal of the matter. They might be functionally immortal, but the Felt had left Diamonds Droog, the best (and arguably only) friend slick had ever had, dead on the street. Blood, viscera and, worst, dirt soaking into his finely tailored suit.

Boxcars and Deuce were already gone. He didn't know what happened to them, exactly. They just didn't come back after a night of drinking. He and Droog (it hurt to even think about him) had thought, or perhaps hoped, that the less intelligent among them had simply grown weary of the life of organized crime and fucked off to somewhere. But now he could only assume the worst.

So, there he sat.
Alone.
Fearful.
Waiting for the inevitable.
With the remains of his friend's life soaking into the ground.
What else was there to do?
Ezikeel
Ezikeel
Admin

https://antematter.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Secondhand Gloves (Slick/Sleuth) Empty Re: Secondhand Gloves (Slick/Sleuth)

Post  THISLOSERHERE Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:52 pm

Sleuth opened the door to the bar and searched the inside, letting a sigh of relief when his eyes fell upon the familiar black fedora and rumpled jacket of the one and only Spades Slick.

The felt were coming for him and they weren't being subtle about it. The city was in an uproar about the brutal murder of Diamonds Droog and it was only a matter of time before the Felt sunk their teeth into Slick's throat. Unless someone intervened.

Sleuth let the door close behind him as he navigated the room to Slick's side. He hesitantly reached out a hand, setting it on Slick's shoulder.

"Slick?" He asked gently
THISLOSERHERE
THISLOSERHERE

Back to top Go down

Post  Ezikeel Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:45 pm

Slick flinched when he heard the door creak open, his hand tightening on his weapon in anticipation. The attack he expected never came, but he almost whirled around and nailed Sleuth in the face when he touched his shoulder. He was so relieved, when he heard Problem Sleuth's voice, that he could have died right there.

"Don't you know it's dangerous to be here, Sleuth?" he asked. "Or to be anywhere near me, really."

His words didn't have any of their usual venom. On the one hand, he didn't want to be responsible for the death of another of his closest friends, but on the other hand he was pleased that Sleuth even wanted to be there, so it was hard for him to work himself up to chasing the detective away.

"You're already in deep enough. Don't get in over your head, Sleuth. I don't need another death on my conscience."
Ezikeel
Ezikeel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  THISLOSERHERE Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:24 pm

"They'd probably come after me first anyway" Sleuth gave him a lopsided smile. "Besides, ain't there safety in numbers?"

He let his hand slide off Slick's shoulder to his elbow. "Come on, let's get you out of here."
THISLOSERHERE
THISLOSERHERE

Back to top Go down

Post  Ezikeel Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:06 pm

"You could just leave," Slick said abruptly. He stared thoughtfully at the floor, like he was doing math in his head. "I have enough cash that you could just take a vacation for a while. By the time you ran out of money, I'd be dead and the Felt would have forgotten all about you. Then you could come back, and everything would be the same as it was before we met."
Ezikeel
Ezikeel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  THISLOSERHERE Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:22 pm

Sleuth gave Slick a very confused look. He reached out and felt the dersite's head, then felt his own. "Weird. With all that self sacrificing bullshit you just spewed, I would have bet everything I owned that you had a high grade fever to the point of delusion." he teased lightly.

"Get your ass up Slick, I'm not leaving you for the felt to find. You know I'm not going to listen to you anyways, I never do."
THISLOSERHERE
THISLOSERHERE

Back to top Go down

Post  Ezikeel Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:39 pm

"Yeah, I know. It was worth a shot, though, right?"

He grabbed an empty beer bottle off of the counter and chucked it, with all his might, at the mirror behind the bar, shattering them both into thousands of tiny pieces. Then, as if nothing at all had happened, he turned and headed for the door.

"Well?" he asked. "Are you coming or not?"
Ezikeel
Ezikeel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  THISLOSERHERE Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:52 pm

"Was that really necessary?" Sleuth asked dryly, sliding a hand into his pocket and using his free hand to adjust his hat.

"Its almost like you're trying to leave a trail of destruction for someone to find you. And that was a nice mirror. The bartender will probably add it to your tab. Which brings me to another point, are you even sober enough to go down? Because I still don't think its possible"

His free hand slid into its matching pocket.
THISLOSERHERE
THISLOSERHERE

Back to top Go down

Post  Ezikeel Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:08 am

"I can do whatever the hell I want to, Problem Sleuth. It'll give them a story to tell about me. Not that that'll keep everyone from forgetting about me a week after I quit bein' in the papers." He shrugged, shoving his hands into his pockets and shouldering the door open.
Ezikeel
Ezikeel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  THISLOSERHERE Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:12 am

"You practically made this city" Sleuth let a wry grin slip onto his face. "You're not leaving it without a fight."
THISLOSERHERE
THISLOSERHERE

Back to top Go down

Post  Ezikeel Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:25 am

"Practically, nothing!"

He pulled a crumpled, half-smoked cigarette out of the bottom of his pocket and shoved it between his teeth, every motion full of violent energy.

"And I ain't gonna fight anybody. I plan on spending my last few hours. or days if I'm lucky, having a good fucking time. You hear me, Problem Sleuth? We're gonna run up every tab I have at every goddamned pool hall in this shitty fucking stupid town before those green assholes take it over. I'll leave my fucking estates to Snowman, and she can pay for my shit."
Ezikeel
Ezikeel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  THISLOSERHERE Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:27 am

"I have a better idea" Sleuth replied, snatching the cigarette from between his lips and placing it between his own. "Come back to my house"
THISLOSERHERE
THISLOSERHERE

Back to top Go down

Post  Ezikeel Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:31 am

"Yeeaah, so we can make it real easy for fucking Trace to find us both. That's exactly what we should do."

He argued half-heartedly, but let himself be led in that direction anyway. What good would it do him to argue with the only friend he had left over something stupid, when there wasn't much time left anyway. He may as well let Sleuth do whatever he wanted.
Ezikeel
Ezikeel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  THISLOSERHERE Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:41 am

"You've been to my place so many times" Sleuth started, only to stop with a sigh. "If they really wanted, they could find you at any time."
THISLOSERHERE
THISLOSERHERE

Back to top Go down

Post  Ezikeel Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:26 am

"I know."

He hooked his arm through Problem Sleuth's, letting him lead the way, and not caring a bit who saw them. It wasn't as though it mattered anymore, him keeping up appearances.

Sure, he was a hard-ass gangster. Sure, he was a nationalistic Dersite. Sure, he and Sleuth were on opposite sides of the law. But, for some reason, none of that mattered. If Spades Slick could be said to have a soft spot, it was right in the middle of his charred, hardened heart, and it had Problem Sleuth's name written all over it.
Ezikeel
Ezikeel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  THISLOSERHERE Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:28 am

"Do you also know, my good gangster gentleman, that the first member of the felt that steps into my home will get a bullet through his head?" Sleuth asked. "I am licensed to kill when it comes to defense and protection."
THISLOSERHERE
THISLOSERHERE

Back to top Go down

Post  Ezikeel Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:32 am

"They'll just come back. Delaying the inevitable doesn't make it any less inevitable, yanno?"

He sighed deeply, hanging his head for a moment. It was so uncharacteristic of him to feel so hopelessly defeated. He hated it.

"Thanks for the sentiment, though, Sleuth. I appreciate it."
Ezikeel
Ezikeel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  THISLOSERHERE Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:37 am

"Its only inevitable if you let it be." Sleuth replied. "Have I told you about all the times it was inevitable that I was going to die and I recovered? Because I'm a stubborn little shit. And you're more stubborn than I am, so don't give up"
THISLOSERHERE
THISLOSERHERE

Back to top Go down

Post  Ezikeel Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:39 am

"More stubborn, yeah. More hopeful, definitely not. I think you mostly survived out of pure stupidity. Like, you couldn't tell it was impossible so you just fucking did it anyway, like a little fucking shit. Me, I'm cursed with a shitty rational-thinking mind. I may not always listen to logic, but it's there, reminding me of when situations are absolutely hopeless."
Ezikeel
Ezikeel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  THISLOSERHERE Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:41 am

"Slick, you control black magic. How is that logical?" Sleuth pointed out dryly.
THISLOSERHERE
THISLOSERHERE

Back to top Go down

Post  Ezikeel Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:45 am

"And you have a gun that's a key that's a gun. Sometimes shit just, I dunno, happens. It's not gonna save me from a bunch of functionally immortal douchebags with a grudge, though. I could go out into the sand wastes and found a whole new city, and they'd still manage to find me, somehow, sometime."

He sighed again. All this talk wasn't doing anything for his mood.

"Let's just... Let's just get home, Sleuth. Please."
Ezikeel
Ezikeel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  THISLOSERHERE Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:47 am

"If it makes you feel any better, Pickle wouldn't let you die. Death is his bitch after the sudoku debacle." Sleuth stated before falling silent.
THISLOSERHERE
THISLOSERHERE

Back to top Go down

Post  Ezikeel Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:50 am

"Ah, shaddup, Sleuth."

He walked along in silence, holding onto Problem Sleuth's arm, until they reached their destination. He stood staring at the door for a long time, considering the fact that this might be the last time he would ever see it.

"Gonna show me in, or what?"
Ezikeel
Ezikeel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  THISLOSERHERE Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:54 am

Sleuth smiled and moved to open the door for Slick. "After you"
THISLOSERHERE
THISLOSERHERE

Back to top Go down

Post  Ezikeel Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:02 am

"With my luck they've already got the place boobytrapped," he grumbled as he trudged inside.

He tried to keep up his grumpy demeanor, but Problem Sleuth's house felt more like home to him than any place he'd ever owned, himself. It probably had a lot to do with the fact that he wasn't alone here, but thinking about things like that made him feel all flustered and stupid, so he pushed that thought to the back of his mind.

"Did you have anything planned, or are we just hanging out?"
Ezikeel
Ezikeel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum